“We are in business, this isn’t a hobby. We are in business to provide a good income for ourselves and our families, and to do that we have to get the balance right, between focusing on revenue generation and making sure we are following work that lights us up and pursuing our passions”
Nicola Semple is this week’s guest on the Happy Healthy Entrepreneur Podcast. Nicola has been a solo-entrepreneur now, for 5 years.
Nicola helps women business owners to create calm from chaos, by teaching them the skills and giving them the tools required to focus on what matters in their business and their life.
Drawing on her background in psychology, personal development, mindfulness and running her own small business, Nicola is in the process of creating an innovative personal development programme, specifically for women business owners, to support them in their journey to becoming a happy, healthy entrepreneur. I love it, we’re on the same page!
When I asked Nicola what three words sum up her entrepreneurial journey so far she said:
Exhilarating. Winding (as in road!). Insightful.
What you’ll learn by listening to this episode:
- How it can feel like every business idea we have, has already been done – but it is not a reason not to do it;
- There is no such thing as an original business idea, but what makes it unique is your own personality and your own spin on it!;
- We are never short of ideas, but what sets someone apart is their ability to implement a project all the way through to completion;
- How freedom to be your own boss is both a perk and a curse – stay focused on revenue generation;
- There is a fine line between giving away good quality content and a level of value for free, but at some point, you need to get something in return;
- The curse of comparisonitis. How moving out of that mindset, is essential in order to build a business that is right for you and your sanity;
- Don’t get sucked in by the marketing messages out there of “you must invest in your business!” we don’t need anywhere near the number of online courses we sign up to. If you are going to invest in things, make sure the format is right for you;
- Network is everything. Having a supportive group of people around you, who you can call upon when you need it;
- How mindfulness has become a powerful resource for her as a business owner – being more focused, getting more done, and feeling less stressed about it;
- Perseverance is what keeps her going. Being in business is a long-term goal.
Inspiring & Thought Provoking Quotes from Nicola
“It’s so hard to come up with something completely original now, but we can all put our own individual spin on it.”
“If you leave yourself open to creativity all the time, you’ll get lots of lots of ideas, and you’ll never actually get anything finished”
“The wonderful thing about being your own boss is that you can follow any path and do what you want to do. The most terrible thing about being your own boss is that you have complete freedom and you don’t have to follow a set path and you can do anything you want to do!”
“Allow yourself to experience the journey. There are many things that have happened over the last five years that I have found deeply frustrating, and at the time I would probably rather they hadn’t happened. That said, every single one of them has taught me something. Every single one of them has nudged me forward to where I need to go.”
“There’s so much about society today, where we want things to happen, and we want them to happen now. In fact we want them to happen yesterday, and if they aren’t happening now or immediately, we start to get really frustrated with ourselves, and feel that we’re not good enough, or not going fast enough – but everybody is on their own personal journey with this, and you need to experience that journey.”
Recommendations and Resources:
Where you can learn more about Nicola Semple
Listen to the podcast
3 ways you can listen:
- Here through the audio player (below) on this page;
- Via iTunes by clicking on the icon (below);
- If you don’t have iTunes, here is the RSS feed to plug in, if you are listening via another App such as Podbean: http://cast.rocks/hosting/8633/feeds/FS7RE.xml
Join the Happy Healthy Entrepreneur movement
Happy Healthy Entrepreneur was founded by Sarah Swanton in early 2017 and is a movement dedicated to supporting purpose-driven entrepreneurs to achieve optimum mental health and wellbeing so that they have all the emotional resources they need to create a happy and profitable business, out there making a positive social, and conscious impact in the world.
For more information go to the Facebook Page or you can sign up to the newsletter, and be the first to hear about upcoming events, workshops, as well as The Happy Entrepreneur group mentoring programme launching in Spring 2018.
Finally, if you think our values are aligned, and you’d like to chat about the idea of collaborating on a project together, coming to speak at one of your events, please get in touch, email@example.com, I always love to hear from like-minded souls!