“It’s OK to be vulnerable, it’s OK to not know where you’re going or what you’re doing, and it’s OK to verbalise that. I’ve definitely felt historically not able to do that, you almost put up a vision of invincibility, or everything’s fine even when it’s not. There is a relief, a freedom in being able to do that.”
I’m delighted to welcome Ben Swanton who is this week’s guest on the Happy Healthy Entrepreneur Podcast, who also happens to be my husband!
Ben is the founder of 808 Talent, a specialist Recruitment and Headhunting Consultancy which focuses specifically on the global Broadcast and Sports Media technology industries. He consults for and works in partnership with Technology Companies across the UK, Europe, and the US, whether they be Fortune 500 companies or Start-ups, to recruit the best people for their organisation, ultimately helping them to achieve their business growth goals.
When I asked Ben what three words sum up his entrepreneurial journey so far he said:
Liberating. Rollercoaster. Rewarding.
What you’ll learn by listening to this episode
- How one big reason for setting up his own business, was to stop the long commutes to London and be available for more family time at home.
- What it’s like when not everyone around you ‘gets it’ when you go off for a few hours in the ‘working day’ to do something for you (in Ben’s case, play golf!).
- The biggest challenge Ben had to overcome first was “can I do this?” and he did (and then some!) but at the cost of burnout in the first six months, and the mindset changes he’s worked on since then.
- Smartphones are wonderful but they are also a double-edged sword because we don’t give our brains that time to rest.
- What it’s like when both of you are self-employed, and how it is not always healthy to rely on the other for emotional support, even though we each understand what it’s like.
- When you come out and say what you really want to be doing in life, in work, the world doesn’t end!
Recommendations and Resources
Book: The Mask of Masculinity by Lewes Howes
Book: Deepak Chopra – The Seven Spiritual Laws Of Success
Where you can learn more about Ben
Listen to the podcast
3 ways you can listen:
- Here through the audio player (below) on this page;
- Via iTunes by clicking on the icon (below);
- If you don’t have iTunes, here is the RSS feed to plug in, if you are listening via another App such as Podbean: http://cast.rocks/hosting/8633/feeds/FS7RE.xml
About me, Sarah Swanton & Happy Healthy Entrepreneur
Hello, I’m Sarah, and I’m a Podcaster and the founder of Happy Healthy Entrepreneur, where I support entrepreneurs with their mental health and wellbeing, so they can enjoy the self-employment journey, and have a business that supports them, not exhausts them!
Because when you think about it, what’s the alternative? Possible burnout, or have to go back and get a J.O.B which is no fun for anyone, if all you really want is to be in business for yourself, earning a healthy sustainable income, doing what it is you love.
I’m also the creator of Effortless Entrepreneur: the online course to help you get out of your own way and make your business vision a reality. If you’d like to be part of this group of solopreneurs (we get started May 2018), then please put your name down, and I’ll make sure you hear all about it, as soon as we’re ready to go.
Finally, if you think our values are aligned, and you’d like to chat about the idea of collaborating on a project together, or coming to speak at one of your events, please get in touch, email@example.com, I always love to hear from like-minded souls!