“Please, please to be kind to oneself. I think entrepreneurs can have an enormous perfectionist tendency, because they’re so eager to bring that thing they believe in, into the world, and perfectionism can really throttle us. If we can be kind and forgiving to ourselves, I think that is the one thing I’d like to see. I’d love people to learn that, very early on, rather than wait until they’re my age to be kind and generous to themselves.”
I’m delighted to welcome Renée Van Der Vloodt who is this week’s guest on the Happy Healthy Entrepreneur Podcast.
Renée is a coach, educator, therapist, and writer with over 20 years experience of positively transforming the mental health and wellbeing of individuals and teams. Alongside running a thriving practice, Renée’s experience includes coaching senior executives at Shell International and teaching therapists and coaches within the UK, Europe, America, and Africa. Renée regularly contributes to Breathe magazine, the Human Givens Journal and has penned innumerable blogs on the psychology of behaviour change.
When I asked Renée to sum up what her self-employment journey has been so far, she said:
Adventure. Service. Learning.
What you’ll learn by listening to this episode
- What has fuelled her entire business journey, has been one word – curiosity.
- The importance of creating space for reflection and thinking time during the working day “what do I need?” “what would be kind to me?”
- Being able to discern between intuition and anxiety, and learning to know which ‘voice’ to act on.
- The lure of shiny object syndrome, and how social media (for all it’s good), can also be likened to eating junk food.
- The implications of what it means to be an ‘early adopter’ and how it can be a challenge at times when others don’t fully buy into what you do.
- Meditation and yoga are what keeps Renée feels centred and a way of ‘cleaning her inner home’.
Recommendations and Resources
Where you can learn more about Renée
Listen to the podcast
3 ways you can listen:
- Here through the audio player (below) on this page;
- Via iTunes by clicking on the icon (below);
- If you don’t have iTunes, here is the RSS feed to plug in, if you are listening via another App such as Podbean: http://cast.rocks/hosting/8633/feeds/FS7RE.xml
Happy Healthy Entrepreneur was founded by Sarah Swanton in 2017 and is dedicated to teaching purpose-driven entrepreneurs how to optimise their mental health and wellbeing so they can have all the emotional resources they need to create a happy, successful, and profitable business.
For more information go to the Facebook Page or you can sign up to the newsletter, and be the first to hear about upcoming events, workshops, as well as The Happy Healthy Entrepreneur Group Programme launching in 2018.
Finally, if you think our values are aligned, and you’d like to chat about the idea of collaborating on a project together, coming to speak at one of your events, please get in touch, firstname.lastname@example.org, I always love to hear from like-minded souls.